You are here
Williams, Stewart keep rolling
Top ranked national men's beach volleyball duo, Daniel Williams and Daynte Stewart made it two wins from two tournaments when the second-leg of the National Beach Volleyball Circuit hosted by the T&T Volleyball Federation concluded at Saith Park, Chaguanas on Sunday night.
In the final of the men’s six-team tournament, Williams and Stewart, second year partners over a tough challenge from Abraham Eccles and Joel Theodore 27-25, 21-16.
With the win, Williams and Stewart improved to 16 points, six clear of Eccles and Theodore while Marlon Phillip and Nathanael Noreiga are third with eight points.
Earlier in their three-team Pool A round-robin series, Williams and Stewart had wins over Stephen Enile and Steffon Hutson 21-18, 22-20 and Kurt Edwards and Kareem Thomas 21-15, 21-18 before overcoming first-leg finals opponent, Phillip, and Noreiga 21-16, 21-19 in their semifinal.
Eccles and Theodore also topped their round-robin Pool B series after beating Kevin Rivers and Jason Dennis 21-6, 21-8 and Phillip and Noreiga 13-21, 22-20, 15-9 followed by a semifinal triumph against Enile and Hutson 21-15, 21-13.
Enile and Hutson took third spot with a 21-12, 24-22 win over Phillip and Noreiga.
Grant, Blackman back on top
The women’s tournament saw a reversal of placings amongst the top two teams from last month’s first-leg competition with top seeded pair Abby Blackman and Rheeza Grant getting the better of Malika Davidson and Phylecia Armstrong in three sets, 22-20, 15-21, 15-12.
The victory ensured both teams share the overall points table lead with 14 each from two legs , six more than third placed La Teisha Joseph and Suraya Chase.
Blackman and Grant, who won the day’s round-robin with a perfect 4-0 record stopped Tsyan Selvon and Brittney Choon 21-10, 21-4 in their semifinal while Davidson and Armstrong battled past Joseph and Chase 21-16, 15-21, 15-10.
Joseph and Chase ended in third by beating Selvon and Choon 21-9, 21-16.
Final Women positions
1. Abby Blackman/Rheeza Grant
2. Malika Davidson/Phylecia Armstrong
3. Lateisha Joseph/Suraya Chase
4. Tsyan Selvon/Brittney Choon
5. Romelia Fermin/Asma Charles
Current points table after two legs
1. Abby Blackman/Rheeza Grant & Malika Davidson/Phylecia Armstrong - 14pts
3. LaTeisha Joseph/Suraya Chase - 8
4.Tsyan Selvon/Brittney Choon - 4
5. Romelia Fermin/Asma Charles - 1.5
Final Men's standings
1.Daneil Williams/Daynte Stewart
2. Abraham Eccles/Joel Theodore
3. Stephen Enile/Steffon Hutson
4. Marlon Phillip/Nathanael Noriega
5. Kareem Thomas/Kurt Edwards & Kevin Rivers & Jason Dennis
Points Table after second-leg
1. Daneil Williams/Daynte Stewart - 16pts
2. Abraham Eccles/Joel Theodore - 10
3. Marlon Phillip/Nathanael Noriega - 8
4. Stephen Enile/Steffon Hutson - 5
5. Kareem Thomas/Kurt Edwards - 2
6. Kevin Rivers/Jason Dennis & Devaughn Martin & Evlon Pounder - 1
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.